Monday, February 28, 2011

Blast from the Past

I feel like we've just started to make a dent in our unpacking process. I'm still finding spots to put things, which means I'm moving things around constantly. One of those items happened to be a decorative jar that we got at the wedding. What I didn't know was that my mother hid some saltwater taffy in the jar. 

I accidently knocked it over during one of the moves, and discovered one of my favorite childhood memories spill out!


My family used to spend our summers in Cape Neddick, which is right next to the tourist town of York. During the days we would go to Short Sands beach, which conveniently had an arcade that was right off the walk, AND The Goldenrod, a candy shop that has been around since 1896 and famous for their Saltwater taffy!

I instantly had a floodgate of memories break through from years long gone. Ones that included sand between my toes, the smell of saltwater on my nose, uncomfortable sunburns, and of days when life just seemed perfect. 

Not lying, I ate them all. 

Now I need another box. 


These magical tastes of sugar made me miss summer in an instant. I can officially say that I'm looking forward to summer, to visiting The Goldenrod so I can restock on my taffy supply, and to creating more memories...

...but this time with my little girl in tow =)

1 comment:

  1. love a thoughtful gift.
    just reading your memories in this post makes me want to hitch a ride to fiji right now! sun...sand...sugar...please come again.

    ReplyDelete