Monday, February 28, 2011

The Kitchen Project

Still no internet at the new house. Or phone. Or TV. And while I don't miss the latter two, I do miss having internet! But all that free time has resulted in the completion of some home projects around the house. The kitchen is finally finished! Well, at least for now. I foresee a larger reno in the not-so-near future. 


This is what we started with. 


 First things first: tear down wallpaper.


 See? Had to go!




 After painting the walls, cupboards, ceiling, door and trim. But clearly the ugly laminate wood countertops had to go. Hmm... What to do on a non-existent budget??


Experiment!


Zach primed the countertops...

Applied 2 coats of stone gray paint, 5 coats of poly, 2 coats of apoxy, and then another 5 coats of poly. 




The final product.


S was none to pleased that I was photographing everything in the house but her.


All in all, I'm pretty happy with the way they came out. However  I must say that the countertops look better than they function. We have to keep the amount of water contact to a minimum (to prevent bubbling of the apoxy), and we can't put anything hot on the surface. 

Z is already set to rip them out and start anew. But frankly, I need a break from kitchen remodeling!

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE the sink insert!!!!! Is it metal? Good job- looks great guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The sink is cast iron and the cupboard supporting it is metal. It's one of my favorite parts of the kitchen!

    ReplyDelete