Thursday, March 17, 2011

Paint!

My husband actually gave me the idea this post. We've been using so many different paint brands lately on different projects around the house that he implied that I was a painting expert now. Well, I am not even close, as one would be able to see if they inspected any of the trim that I've recently painted. But I can provide some input as to the different types of paint out there and the quality of them.

We are now currently painting the trim in our bathroom. We can't do too much about the yellow tile, as we can't really afford to renovate this space at this time. So the mint green has to go! Z and I finally agreed on a shade of white that would work in the bathroom (after trying 3 other color choices on the trim). But we decided to use a different brand to save some money. This was not exactly our finest idea.





So here's what I have to say about the different brands we've used so far and the ease of working with them.

Valspar: Used in the master bedroom. Excellent color quality, but I was not entirely pleased on how it went on the walls. After 2 coats, I was content with how everything looked, but I was highly skeptical after the first coat application.
Money: $$
Color: + +
Ease of use: +


Olympic: What we are using on the trim in the bathroom. I am happy with the color, but the application process is a nightmare. It does not go on evenly, and it leaves streaks. I'm going to need to apply at least 3 coats to cover up that hideous mint green (and there is a lot of trim to cover up!). This paint is not worth the savings because of the frustration that comes along with it.
Money: $
Color: +
Ease of use: -

Sherwin Williams: Probably the best quality out there. Always happy with the color and with the easy of the application. But it is the most expensive product.
Money: $$$
Color: + + +
Ease of use:  + + +

Behr: I have actually not painted with this. Zach refuses to paint with Behr ever again. He recently painted every room in one of the apartments he owns, and he just has nothing nice to say about their product, so I've skipped out on this one.
Money: $$
Glidden: I love this product! Color is always great, the ease that the paint went on was fantastic. I did need to apply two coats with this paint, but I didn't mind because it was such an easy product to work with. I also liked Glidden because of the savings that came with it. This is Lowe's cheapo paint (yes!).
Money: $
Color: + + +
Ease of use: + +

No comments:

Post a Comment